'Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children is everyone's responsibility. Everyone who comes into contact with children and their families has a role to play in safeguarding children."
Keeping Children Safe in Eductaion
Warter C. E. Primary School is committed to providing a safe environment in which children can learn. We promote a positive environment where children feel confident about sharing any concerns they may have.
Warter C. E. Primary School takes safeguarding very seriously. All employees have an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check carried out as part of our pre-employment checks and checks are also undertaken to verify identity, address, qualifications required for the post, right to work in the UK and previous employment history.
All employees at Warter C. E. Primary School have repeat DBS checks at least every three years and wear an identity badge with a photograph that identifies them.
We follow the DfE guidance from:
- Keeping Children Safe in Education
- Working Together to Safeguard Children
Any concern about the welfare of children must be reported to our Designated Safeguarding Lead, or if she is not available one of her deputies, as soon as possible by calling 01759 302061 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Miss. Alison Metcalfe (Designated Safegurding Lead)
- Mr. Anthony David (Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead)
- Miss. Jane Cunningham (Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead)
- Mrs. Debbie Potter (Child Protection Governor)
School Site Security
We keep the site safe and secure by:
- Entrance to the building - all entrances to the school have gates which are locked once the registers are closed and are not opened again until 3.20pm. Children who arrive late for school must be brought to school via the office to sign in where there is a member of staff at all times.
- All visitors to the school must sign in at the office and provide photographic ID. At this stage they will be issued with a lanyard (green if we have a valid DBS and red if not). If we have not been provided with a valid DBS then the visitor will be supervised at all times.
- We regularly remind all staff that they have a responsibility to challenge anyone on the school site without a lanyard and escort them to the school office immediately.
Safer Recruitment Procedures
This includes all aspects of the schools:
- Single Central Register
The Headteacher (Miss. Alison Metcalfe) and School Business Manager (Mrs. Paula Harris) have undertaken Safer Recruitment Training.
Mrs. Debbie Potter (Chair of Governors and Child Protection Governor) and Mrs. Freda Bailey (Foundation Governor) have undertaken Safer Recruitment Training.
Safer Recruitment Training is refreshed every 5 years.
All staff are required to:
- Complete a safety induction on their first day.
- Complete a Safeguarding e-learning module and assessment. This is refreshed every three years. (All Governors also complete the Safeguarding e-learning module and assessment).
- Attend a staff training day at the beginning of each academic year for the Headteacher to cascade the changes to Safeguarding legislation and the schools updated Safeguarding Policy.
All teachers are required to carry out FGM training.
All teachers, teaching assistants, office staff, catering manager and cook are required to carry out PREVENT training.
First Aid Training
All teachers, teaching assistants and catering staff are required to carry out Emergency First Aid Training.
All staff who work in the foundation unit are required to carry out Paediatric First Aid Training.
The Headteacher, School Business Manager and Catering Manager have undertaken a Fire Awareness Course.
The Emergency First Aid Training, Paediatric First Aid Training and Fire Awareness Course are refereshed every three years.
Our school has been given the opportunity to take part in a project called Operation Encompass. This project has been designed to provide early reporting to schools of any domestic abuse incidents that occur outside of normal school hours that may have an impact on a child attending school the following day.